Friday, April 1, 2011

So Easy Grilled Chicken & Shrimp

I made this awesome dinner the other night with grilled chicken, shrimp, and asparagus with a side of baked potato. It was so easy on my George Foreman grill because all I had to do was flip the skewers every 10 minutes or so.

2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 lbs raw shrimp
1/2 cup of soy sauce total, divided into 1/4 cups
salt
pepper
lemon pepper seasoning
garlic salt
olive oil
lots of red or sweet onions, your preference
lots of wooden skewers, make sure you pre-soak them in water for at least 15 minutes.

For the Side Dishes:
frozen asparagus
baking potatoes, I used red potatoes and it turned out great.
Some butter & sour cream for the baked potatoes


I got boneless skinless chicken thighs (I like dark meat better, it has more flavor), and RAW shrimp. Please, oh please, do yourself a favor and never cook with precooked shrimp unless your making one of those cocktail with shrimp sauce appetizers. You loose so much of the shrimp flavor if you buy it precooked. So I placed each meat in its own bowl with 1/4 cup of the soy sauce each. Add 1 tbs lemon pepper seasoning, 1 tbs garlic salt, and some cracked pepper to each of the two bowls of meats. I let this marinate over night which made it extra yummy.
Next, I cut the onions in large pieces.
Then I began to cut the chicken in smaller pieces. I took about 4 pieces of chicken, or 4 pieces of shrimp and added one piece onto a skewer, followed by a large onion chunk. I alternated the meat with the onions. If I had green or red peppers I would have added chunks of that as well.

I tuned the grill to high and coated it with some nonstick cooking spray. I added the shrimp to the grill. After the first 5 minutes I flipped each skewer and let it cook for another 5-8 minutes. In the meantime I took a knife and poked several holes into each potato after they were washed. I used red potatoes which are small and take less time to cook. They cooked for 10 minutes in my microwave, then I flipped them and cooked them for another 10 minutes.

I used frozen asparagus as a side. To prepare it for the grill I added the asparagus into a bowl and drizzled olive oil on them. Then I added some salt, freshly cracked pepper, and a pinch of the lemon pepper seasoning to reflect the flavor of the grilled chicken and shrimp. I mixed everything together to make sure the asparagus was nicely coated.

By now the shrimp was done and I took them off the grill. Next I grilled the asparagus for 5 minutes, then moved them around the grill, to cook for another 5-8 minutes. Once I took them off the grill I started cooking the chicken. This took a little longer, maybe 15 minutes, then I flipped the skewers, and cooked for another 15 minutes. Everything grilled so nicely on my grill.
 Check to make sure that their are no more pink juices coming out of the chicken. Cooking times vary according to how big or how small you cut up your chicken. The finished meal was really tasty and considerably healthy.
This whole meal probably took me 50 minutes to make just because my grill is not very big so I had to grill everything separately. But it was still an easy meal because I did not have to keep watching or stirring things. I love to leave food baking in the oven or grilling because there is less I have to do.

7 comments: