Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Strawberry Waffles with Strawberry Syrup

I had 4 sandwich bags full of frozen strawberries and I decided to use them up with a recipe posted on foodtv.com by Emeril Lagasse. I made my own tweaks to the recipe. I added strawberries to his waffle batter, and for the syrup I removed the orange zest and juice.

The waffles and syrup turned out fantastic! If you are bad at cooking pancakes like I am, then waffles are much easier. The waffle maker does all the work and I tend to not burn my waffles to a black char like I do with pancakes.


Ingredients:

For the Waffles
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Nonstick cooking spray

I added in 3 cups of chopped up, frozen strawberries that I thawed out. You could use fresh strawberries too.

For the Strawberry Syrup
1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and diced, or thawed frozen unsweetened strawberries (about 3 cups)
1 cup sugar

Directions:

First thaw out the strawberries your using for the waffles if they are frozen. This could take a while. When they are thawed out, they are squishy and juicy which is fine. The strawberries to be used in the syrup can be left whole.


Next, dice up your strawberries. 


Now start mixing the dry ingredients:  flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. At least this is how I choose to make the batter.


Put the butter in a microwavable dish and microwave it until completely melted.


Now mix in all the rest of the ingredients starting with the milk and butter first. Then add the eggs, vanilla, and diced strawberries.


Start heating up your waffle maker. Once it is ready, spray it with the nonstick cooking spray. I added 3/4 cup of the batter to my waffle maker to create each waffle.


I hate it when the batter spills over...


The waffle is done when it is a nice light brown color and is not mushy in the center.


I was able to make 6 waffles with the recipe.






Now get started on the syrup. You might want to this this the night before if you wont have enough time in the morning. It took me 1 hour to cook down the ingredients to the correct syrup consistency.

Add the strawberries required for this recipe and the sugar.


Cook this on low-medium heat for one hour stirring occasionally.



Eventually it will become a syrup. I made mine the night before and stored it in a microwavable dish. In the morning I heated it up for 3 minutes in the microwave.



 After the syrup was heated through, I spread it on top of my waffles. This is optional, but I added 3 heaping tablespoons of yogurt in the middle, followed by a sprinkling of granola. You could add cool whip, sliced bananas, chocolate chips, or anything like that. It just so happened that yogurt and granola were what I had at hand.



I served the waffles with a bowl of watermelon and cantaloupe. I also made an iced coffee drink for my husband who hates hot coffee. My recipe for this is as follows:

Brew coffee as you normally would. Fill 1/3 of the cup with the hot coffee. Then I like to add 2 heaping teaspoons of sugar and mix well. If you like it sweeter add more sugar.


Next add another 1/3 of milk.


Add enough ice cubes that the liquid level rises to the brim of the cup.


You could buy flavored coffee syrups to add a little something extra to the drink.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment