Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spinach Artichoke Dip, Food Wishes Style

So I love this blog called Food Wishes, and I finally made one of the recipes. As mentioned before, I buy all my food at Aldi so this was quite a challenge because they sell basic items so I had to change a few things.

Ingredients:
1 can of spinach $0.59
2 jars of artichoke hearts in water $2.29 each, I only used 1 and a half of the artichokes in these jars. The rest I am saving for a chicken Alfredo recipe I am doing later this week = $3.44 worth used in this recipe.
1 bag of shredded mozzarella $2.99, I used only 1 cup of this.
1/2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese $2.29. I bought a whole new plastic jar of Parmesan cheese, which the rest will also be used in the chicken alfredo.
10 oz packet of cream cheese $1.29
1/4 cup chopped red onion- had in my fridge all ready
1/4 cup chopped green onion - free from my garden
2 tbs butter
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
White Tortilla Chips $1.19

Total is approximately $ 9.50 to make this dip. Which is worth it because this recipe has lasted me a few days. Like I said, I had to make my own changes but the dip still tasted fantastic. Also the dip is not made with tons of mayonnaise or sour cream so it is healthier.

I started by chopping all the red and green onions. Then I strained all the water out of the canned spinach and the artichokes.
Next, I added the butter, garlic, red onions, green onions, and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir the mixture until the onions are nice and soft for about 10 minutes. Then I added the spinach, artichokes, and creamed cheese to the saucepan. Put the heat down to low, which will help melt the cheeses and make it easier to mix everything.
Once the cream cheese is all mixed through, I added the mozzarella and the Parmesan cheeses. Add another pinch of salt and some pepper.
Once everything is incorporated, I transferred the dip to a baking dish and topped it off with another 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
I put the dip into the oven at 400 degrees and let all the mozzarella cheese melt, approximately 15-20 minutes. To make it extra special, I then turned  my broiler on and let the cheese crisp up for about 1-2 minutes.
I served mine with tortilla chips.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm so gonna try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! You have to make it for me some time ;)

    ReplyDelete